Instituto Português do Sangue e da Transplantação, IP
Avenida Miguel Bombarda, 6
1000-208 Lisboa, Portugal
Carrying out more than 60 years of existence, as it was first established in 1958 as National Blood Institute and then renamed as Portuguese Blood Institute, the Portuguese Institute of Blood and Transplantation (IPST, IP) is currently the result of the merging process, held in 2012, of the Portuguese Blood Institute (comprising 3 Regional Blood Centres), with the 3 Histocompatibility Centres, and part of the transplantation regulatory functions of the former Competent Authority.
IPST, IP ensures the collection, processing, storage and distribution of blood and its components of approximately 60% of the blood collection in Portugal (about 200.000 units per year, 80% in mobile venues). The remaining 40% of blood collection in Portugal is accomplished by hospital blood establishments, all representing 100% voluntary non-remunerated blood donation.
Since 2010, IPST, IP produces and distributes PR/ Amotosalen treated Platelets, and since 2014, Portuguese PR/ Amotosalen treated Plasma and Portuguese SD Plasma.
Self-sufficiency and safety for patients, training and education and efficiency are IPST, IP governance principles.
The management of Portuguese Haemovigilance and Biovigilance Systems lies within the scope of responsibilities of IPST, IP as well as the Portuguese Unrelated Bone Marrow Donors Registry (CEDACE), the Public Cord Blood Bank (BPCCU), the Multiorganic Tissue Bank, the National Coordination of Organ Transplantation and the Histocompatibility laboratory activities namely for Transplantation donor/ recipient pairs.