The European Blood Alliance (EBA) an association of not for profit Blood Establishments within the European Union or European Free Trade Association. Its mission is threefold:
- To contribute to the availability, quality, safety and cost-effectiveness of the blood and tissue supply for the citizens of Europe by developing and maintaining an efficient and strong collaboration amongst European blood, cells and tissue services.
- To increase public and professional awareness of voluntary and non-remunerated donation of blood and blood components as an indispensable therapeutic means to help patients.
- To assist European blood establishments to continuously improve their performance, based on scientific and ethical principles for the benefit of patients
- To facilitate networking among European blood, cells and tissue services.
In 2016, EBA updated its Statutes.
In 2017, EBA formulated its core values: Donor Care, Patient Safety, Excellence through Evidence, Information sharing, Voluntary, Non-Remunerated Blood Donation. These values resonate in all EBA’s actions.
It was created in 1998 with 9 members: Belgium, United Kingdom, Finland, France, Ireland, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Portugal and Scotland.
The EBA Executive Board consists of the following members:
- Philippe Vandekerckhove – Red Cross Flanders – President
- Pierre Tiberghien – Établissement Français du Sang – Vice-President
- Rudolf Schwabe – Swiss Transfusion – Treasurer
- Martti Syrjälä – Finnish Red Cross Blood Service
- Polonca Mali – Blood Transfusion Centre of Slovenia
- Daphne Thijssen – Sanquin Blood Supply the Netherlands
- Catherine Hartmann – Executive Director
- Peter van den Burg – Medical Director
- Willemijn Kramer – Administrations and Communications Officer
- Marleen Ruarus – Management Assistant
- 17 million donations
- 470 million population