Recruitment: Medical Director
To support the Executive Director (ED), EBA is looking for an experienced individual with medical and blood service background and practice to serve as a part-time Medical Director of EBA (3 days a week). The Medical Director will report to the ED and will work in close collaboration with her, preferably in Belgium if the MD is located in the country, or, through visits and meetings if the person is not based in Belgium.
The Medical Director key goals are:
- Supporting the EBA membership by sharing technical and medical information in relation to blood services,
- Contributing to EBA strategy and policies in close collaboration with the ED, President and Executive of EBA,
- Implementing activities as set in the strategic and yearly plans, in close collaboration with the ED and EBA secretariat,
- Representing EBA together with the ED when medical expertise is sought, in meetings and in collaboration with other stakeholders, including EU institution representatives,
- Acting as a facilitator of knowledge exchange on technical and medical matters, among EBA members and within working groups and projects.
The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate achievements in the field of blood services, and have knowledge in transfusion medicine, donor management and health, as well as be able to work with a diversity of profiles, nationalities and culture. A track record of networking and interacting with blood services from various countries would be a bonus. This post would ideally suit a person who has a well-established career, willing to work part time, and involves some travels mainly in Europe.
Additional areas of expertise are as follows:
- Communication skills both oral and written, needed for networking, informing and influencing and liaising with member states and (global) organisations and in writing articles for EBA
- Fluency in spoken and written English is essential
- Alert to changes and developments in the blood services and transfusion field and able to understand the impact of changes to the EBA Membership
- Knowledge and interest in blood, tissues and cells legislation and current guidelines in EU and members states
Tasks will include, but not be limited to:
- Coordinate EBA’s work on COVID-19 Convalescent Plasma
- Draft medical and technical position papers in collaboration with other experts
- Comment any new pieces of EU legislation or guidance in the field of blood, tissues, cells and advanced therapies in collaboration with other experts
- Contribute to ad-hoc stakeholder meetings
- Represent EBA in international medical and technical working groups/parties
- Present EBA’s medical and technical positions in scientific or stakeholder meetings
- Facilitate teleconferences and meetings of EBA working groups
- Follow developments in the field by reviewing literature, networking and participating in conferences and report back to the EBA Membership
The Medical Director may be detached from a European blood establishment to work with EBA, or be independent/consultant.
Start date: as soon as possible
For more information, please contact c.hartmann (at) europeanbloodalliance.eu
- 16 million donations
- 400 million population